Re: [ba-standard] Adding an identity extension to the assertion object

Hi, Sunny, Erin, Jon:

(And CC: W3C Credentials Community Group, because this plays into much of
the work that has been going on in that community since before it was even
organized under that name)

I have been wrestling with this idea for the last year and trying to find a
technically beautiful solution that allows different kinds of identifiers
and allows people to collect badges issued to any of the of their
identifiers. It's a tricky problem, because it has to be solved at both the
standard and the implementation level.

One cool thing about Open Badges, is that when we find the right way to
structure something in the technology, its correctness comes from the
approach reflecting our values about how the world works in some way.
Identity on the Internet is a thorny tangled thicket touching almost every
service, even those that aren't quite as closely tied to individuals'
identities as credentials are. For identity, I think we need to recognize
that our reasoning about how people use identity online and offline needs
to form the basis for how we allow them to be identified in badges.

   - People have many facets to their identity, and interact with their
   communities using differing/overlapping personas. They are constantly
   negotiating how they establish their identity in each of their roles in
   their networks of learning, socialization, work, and romance.
   - Their use of different identifiers in different contexts is an
   expression of this negotiation process.

I think this nets out to some values we should strive to recognize in the
OBI:

   - Issuers should not be expected to know a "canonical" identifier (i.e.
   Backpack account email address) for potential earners they know by other
   identifiers (i.e. Twitter handles or phone numbers)
   - Issuers should be responsible for delivering badges to earners (or
   notifying them they may accept a badge)
   - Earners and consumers should take responsibility for ensuring the
   earner "owns" all the identifiers present as recipients in a collection of
   badges presented to the consumer. Badge-aware software, services, and
   interested 3rd parties should assist in this process.

I'm excited to have this conversation, and I want to move a successful
approach into the standard in the next year. (But as we saw with the v1.1
conversation, it may take significant amounts of research to ensure that we
arrive at a solution that correctly represents the values we hold. And of
course, I'm open to pushback to help better define what values and
consequences of those values need to be represented by the next generation
of OBI recipient identifiers, better than the quick list I sketched out
above).

I don't know that an extension is ultimately going to be the right way to
do this experimentation and research, however, though I would love people
to step forward and try a few things out. Certainly we could add an
additional "recipient"-like object that could implement these values, but
unless we also provide the standard-compliant original recipient object,
the badges we issue with this extension wouldn't pass the validator, etc.
Would love to hear more thoughts on how we might move forward with research
and experimentation.

Cheers,
*Nate Otto, Developer*
concentricsky.com