Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Digital Signatures for Credentials

Closing out this thread, but not before correcting a few pieces of
misinformation.

On 11/22/2014 02:31 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:
> Yes, and SM was not accepted by the IETF.

SM was never submitted to IETF. Review comments on JOSE using SM as a
comparison were submitted to IETF.

> particularly when a well-known cryptographer such as Manger found a
> number of beginner crypto errors in a draft.

... errors which were largely editorial and fixed within the week:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/jose/current/msg03793.html

> Further, pretending it is a "standard" or endorsed by the W3C is
> problematic

That's a gross misrepresentation of both the intent of the email and
what actually happened. I don't doubt that there was confusion, and I'll
be the first to admit that was my fault in not using the proper language
in the review email. However, I thought that was cleared
up by you very soon after the initial email was sent and therefore,
there was very little to no damage done:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/jose/current/msg03737.html

> The general strategy of taking a note made by a few people, branding
> it a "W3C specification" due to a Community Group process, and then
> pretending something is a normative standard and pushing it on other
> WGs or outsiders who may not know any better is something to be
> actively discouraged for *any specification*.

Again, this is a gross misrepresentation of both the intent and what
actually happened.

blog: High-Stakes Credentials and Web Login
http://manu.sporny.org/2014/identity-credentials/