RE: Some templates started [Was: Missing op agreement warning]

From: Young, Milan <Milan.Young@nuance.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:28:07 +0000
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com>
CC: "public-council@w3.org" <public-council@w3.org>
[Milan] This is a template I will support with a few modifications:

> "This group does not have a Charter that describes its scope, deliverables,
> operational rules and decision making process.
[Milan] Above should start with "Caution:".

Also, this may be a separate topic, but in the above you've lumped scope/deliverables in with operations.  This complicates enforcement a bit, because a group could have a charter which omits operational rules, and they would still need to have this warning label.

>  In order to enable a wide
> variety of styles of groups, W3C imposes relatively little structure on how the
> Chair manages a group (see the Process).
[Milan] I would like to delete the above.  This is not the forum to justify decisions and it obfuscates the real content of the message.

> Without a Charter, it may be unclear
> how the group operates or the Chair could change how the group operates
> without warning.
[Milan] I prefer "... unclear how the group operates (eg Chair could change how the group operates without notice or justification).

> W3C strongly encourages groups to operate under a written
> Charter.
[Milan] The word "written" should be replaced with "officially posted" or such.

> However, even with a Charter, participants should be aware that the
> Process currently allows the Chair to change the Charters after notifying the
> group of the change."
[Milan] I have been assuming a charter change requires whatever form of approval that was specified in the last charter.  In any case, I agree with Ian that this is not the right forum.