RE: Some templates started [Was: Missing op agreement warning]

> From: Ian Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]
> On 15 Jan 2013, at 1:54 PM, Young, Milan wrote:
>
> >> From: Ian Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]

> processes.

> >> Why? I think the second sentence makes less sense without the context.
> >>
> >> One could add context back this way:
> >>
> >>   Note: This group does not (yet) have a charter that describes its
> >> decision process, and because of the lightweight CG process, there is
> >> limited accountability in how the Chair reaches decisions.
> > [Milan] Replace "Note" with "Warning", and I'll support this.
>
> How about "Caution"?
[Milan] Agreed.

> >> decisions" with "the Chair(s) have no obligation to consider the
> >> opinion of the members or maintain commitments."
> >>
> >> Those are overly sweeping statements. There are, for example,
> >> licensing commitments over which the Chair has no say.
> > [Milan] How about: "the Chair(s) have no obligation to consider the opinion
> of the members or maintain commitments outside those specifically required
> by the <link>CG process</link>."
>
> I still believe that is too broad.
[Milan] Too broad in its emotional response, or too broad in the scope of what is written?

> >> I prefer my version.
> > [Milan] My first priority is to alert potential participants to the pitfalls which
> may lie ahead.  I'd prefer this would not cause undue embarrassment to the
> W3C or the host CG, but I'm not willing to compromise on the first priority.
> >
> > I'm getting the sense that you have a different first priority.  If you don't
> agree with my counter-proposal, perhaps it would make sense to take a step
> back and first agree on the priorities before proposing more copy.
>
> As I said, my first priority is really the chair selection algorithm. After that, I
> think this language can be useful, and I support the goal of alerting. It is also
> my goals to raise awareness while encouraging participation.

[Milan] I understand you are trying to balance the severity of the text against other corrective measures.  But I think you are forgetting about the balance between the severity of the text and the simplicity of the solution.  Just adopt a process agreement, and the problem goes away!  The way the current CG process is written, a chair doesn't even need radification from the group (or the other chair) to adopt the agreement.  Once in place a respectful chair will hopefully validate with the group, but if they are not inclined to take that step, things would have soon gone badly for the group anyway.