Re: Feedback - email lists

Le vendredi 01 juillet 2011 à 22:12 +1000, ri@odrl.net a écrit :
> I am slightly confused as to why we need the 4 default email lists.

The 4 default list are:
* public-shortname : publicly archived list where only people who have
signed the CLA agreement can participate; unless I'm mistaken, anything
sent to that list can be considered as a contribution under the CLA
terms
* public-shortname-contrib: publicly archived list open to external
subscriptions where discussions with people that have not signed the CLA
agreement can participate
* internal-shortname: like the 1st, but the archives are only visible by
the group members (and people with W3C Member access)
* internal-shortname-contrib: like the 2nd, but the archives are only
visible by the group members (and people with W3C Member access)

I must confess that I'm not entirely clear of the point of the 4th one.

> What I really want/need is additional lists for our own (mini) working
> groups.

I guess these would be what are usually denoted as task forces.

> So I can see all CG participants being on the one
> list: public-mygroup@w3.org

> And then allow additional sub-lists, in our
> case: public-odrl-version2@w3.org and public-odrl-services@w3.org
> which participants have the option of joining (or not)

We have mechanisms to manage task forces and bind them to mailing lists;
I don't think that they've been considered as features for Community
Groups; in particular, the inflation of the number of mailing lists is
something that I think the systems team would likely rather not have to
deal with in the short term.

Would it be sufficient for task forces to use a tagging convention in
the subject (e.g. starting the subject with [version2] for your first
example) and let participants that are not interested filter these
messages out?

Dom