Re: New draft of Coremob-2012 published, plus what's next

Hi Rob,

(2013/01/04 1:58), Robert Shilston wrote:

>>> below at this point in time?
>>>
>>> Req.X: User Agent SHOULD be able to obtain the information of the
>>> network, to which it attaches (e.g., connectivity or nominal capability)
>>> and it is RECOMMENDED to select an appropriate network when available.
>>>
>>> Related WGs: Device APIs WG, System Applications WG
>>>
>>> Please enlighten me if this kind of discussion has already been done and
>>> concluded.
>>
>> This has been discussed in DAP and there are privacy and fingerprinting
>> concerns. Given DAP is focusing on the browser scope and it is too scary
>> to provide such an API to all contents, it might be possible to have
>> this done in SysApps but it will very likely be behind some kind of
>> permission.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Mounir
>>

> I feel that the network information, whilst it could be made available,
> is sufficiently likely to be misleading as to be unwise to be used by
> developers.  The only way to establish the connection quality is to
> connect to the server you want to speak to.  We've written more about
> the challenges of network state information at
> http://labs.ft.com/2012/08/navigator-online-here-be-dragons/

This is an interesting article and I very much enjoyed it :-). I think
that being online and being able to communicate is different. People may
expect too much by thinking if it is online, then it has to be able to
communicate with whatever is in the network. The server may be
overloaded or disconnected, or the network may be congested. In most of
the cases, however, you can get a faster access by WiFi than GSM/EDGE
and your behavior will be different if you find your WiFi connection is
free or without any data cap. If webapp can know such information and
behave wisely for you, it would be beneficial. I think this CG is a good
place with knowledgeable people to find a way to make it forward.

Regards,
--
Hidetoshi