Re: New draft of Coremob-2012 published, plus what's next

Hi Mounir,

Please see inline:

(2013/01/03 1:24), Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> On 29/12/12 09:50, Hidetoshi Yokota wrote:
>> >From the above observation, is it possible to add a new requirement like
>> below at this point in time?
>>
>> Req.X: User Agent SHOULD be able to obtain the information of the
>> network, to which it attaches (e.g., connectivity or nominal capability)
>> and it is RECOMMENDED to select an appropriate network when available.
>>
>> Related WGs: Device APIs WG, System Applications WG
>>
>> Please enlighten me if this kind of discussion has already been done and
>> concluded.
>
> This has been discussed in DAP and there are privacy and fingerprinting
> concerns. Given DAP is focusing on the browser scope and it is too scary
> to provide such an API to all contents, it might be possible to have
> this done in SysApps but it will very likely be behind some kind of
> permission.

I've briefly heard that history. Suppose the user provides permission to
use Network Information API, then privacy issue will be resolved to some
extent? I don't know how much it is useful for fingerprinting just
telling if it is connected to 3G or WiFi, either. In reality, much more
scary things are happening with native apps by sending the whole address
book info or constantly reporting GPS info, etc. ;-)

I don't mean to disagree with the current requirements, but it seems we
are losing benefits for what seems to be no reason...

Regards,
--
Hidetoshi