Re: New draft of Coremob-2012 published, plus what's next

On 1/3/13 5:58 PM, "Robert Shilston" <robert.shilston@ft.com> wrote:

>On 2 Jan 2013, at 16:24, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>

>On 29/12/12 09:50, Hidetoshi Yokota wrote:
>
>From the above observation, is it possible to add a new requirement like
>
>below at this point in time?
>

>Req.X: User Agent SHOULD be able to obtain the information of the
>
>network, to which it attaches (e.g., connectivity or nominal capability)
>
>and it is RECOMMENDED to select an appropriate network when available.
>

>Related WGs: Device APIs WG, System Applications WG
>

>Please enlighten me if this kind of discussion has already been done and
>
>concluded.
>

>This has been discussed in DAP and there are privacy and fingerprinting
>concerns. Given DAP is focusing on the browser scope and it is too scary
>to provide such an API to all contents, it might be possible to have
>this done in SysApps but it will very likely be behind some kind of
>permission.
>
>Cheers,
>--
>Mounir
>

>I feel that the network information, whilst it could be made available,
>is sufficiently likely to be misleading as to be unwise to be used by
>developers.  The only way to establish the connection quality is to
>connect to the server you want to speak to.  We've written more about the
>challenges of network state information at
>http://labs.ft.com/2012/08/navigator-online-here-be-dragons/
>Rob

I'm sympathetic to the issue but the Network Info API is clearly the wrong
way of looking at it, imho. I wrote more about this on the DAP mailing
list recently[1]. If something along these lines (and also much shorter)
would gather consensus, I'll happily add it to the doc.

--tobie

---
[1]:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/0046.html