Re: Vendor prefixes

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:29:14 +0200
To: "Ragavan Srinivasan" <ragavan@mozilla.com>
Cc: public-coremob@w3.org
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:21:39 +0200, Ragavan Srinivasan
<ragavan@mozilla.com> wrote:

>> 1. We recommend prefixed versions as applicable based on the
>> functionality
>> we want. This is a nasty solution, because it motivates vendors to
>> support
>> other people's prefixes. This has already happened in a few cases. It
>> upsets developers, and it reduces the potential for the prefix system
>> do its job of allowing experimentation followed by interoperable
>> implementation of the standards. But it is the rational pragmatic
>> approach
>> for vendors to take, so it is likely to recur if we follow this path.
>
> Which developers are you referring to here? App developers or developers
> working for browser vendors?

Sorry. It upsets app developers (mostly the few who work hard to do the
right thing, and have written code that takes account of differences in
implmentation). I said "vendors" to mean browser developers...

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk