Re: coremob-ISSUE-8: No spec to point to for Full-screen mode. [COREMOB-1]

From: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:32:07 +0000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, "public-coremob@w3.org" <public-coremob@w3.org>, "Core Mobile Web Platform Community Group Issue Tracker" <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
On 6/19/12 9:14 AM, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:00:47 +0200, Core Mobile Web Platform Community
>Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
>
>>Full-screen mode is within the scope of the WebApps WG's charter
>> (http://www.w3.org/2012/webapps/charter/). Could end up as an attribute
>>
>> of Application Configuration.
>
>There are bits in webapps (the API bits) and bits in CSS (the CSS bits -
>oddly enough ;) ). And we should have a FPWD soon, but there are some
>administrivial hoops we still have to jump through.

You referring to [Fullscreen], I suppose. I should rename this feature to
chromeless to avoid confusion (although that might create another kind of
confusion).

Afaik, the Fullscreen API you're referring to lets you take a DOM element
and make it full screen.

Here, what we're interested in is an API that lets us advise the UA
upfront we'd rather run without any browser chrome, similar to
[view-mode]'s fullscreen mode or Apple's [apple-mobile-web-app-capable]
meta tag. I feel like a declarative API would be better for this.

--tobie

---
[Fullscreen]: http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/fullscreen/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

[view-mode]: http://www.w3.org/TR/view-mode/
[apple-mobile-web-app-capable]:
http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/appleapplications/
reference/SafariHTMLRef/Articles/MetaTags.html