Re: Ringmark, Core Mobile, and the Financial Times

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:44:05 +0200
Cc: W3C CoreMob CG <public-coremob@w3.org>
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
On Jun 11, 2012, at 11:21 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:13:34 +0200, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com> wrote:
>> On 6/11/12 11:05 AM, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

>>> Apart from lack of broad implementation (which is obviously a
>>> show-stopper for practical deployment of an app), do you have any
>>> comments about what widgets did wrong in this area?
>>
>> Outside of the name? :-P
>
> Seriously, I think the name turned people off - and while that seems silly it was also a real problem. I'd like to understand what other real problems existed in that technology stack, because I have found a lot of things it got right (other than deployment).

My list:

 the name, "Web Runtime Application Packaging" (WRAP) was much better;
 the timing, most of the work happened before most browser vendors realised that packaged Web apps could be useful;
 the XML, it's silly but some people care;
 mixing packaging and configuration, I think it would have been more successful if the configuration could have immediately applied to hosted apps;
 insufficient thinking about the runtime, because going offline in that way and opening the door to unsafe APIs has implications that are useful to think about before building a packaging format (the widget URI scheme was just one small plug in that hole);
 the security, XML may be acceptable to some people, but to many of those XML DigSig isn't.