Re: Network Information Use Cases

On 7/5/12 12:51 PM, "Tomoyuki SHIMIZU" <tm-shimizu@kddi.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>The use cases proposed by Jean-Francois are of interest to me, too. In
>addition to them, I want to show another use case of network information
>such as below:
>
>· International Roaming: Almost all smartphones can access the web when
>we go anywhere in the world, by applying international 3G roaming.
>Roaming services require much higher fee, so eliminating data traffic and
>offline functionality are desired when 3G roaming is being applied and no
>wi-fi connection is available. It's useful to detect which 3G carrier is
>currently connected to, as well as to detect/switch the type of
>connection.

The Network API spec[1] doesn't allow identifying the current carrier, nor
does it provide information on whether the device is roaming or not. It
also doesn't provide any info whether or not the current network access is
metered, limited in anyway, etc., nor does it allow picking a different
network.

I'm not suggesting the use cases listed so far are not possibly valid ones
(though I would argue alongside the lines of Josh that they might be
better, less network-dependent ways of fulfilling the underlying use
cases), but the Network API in itself doesn't enable any of them nor are
there any other existing spec that could help with this.

--tobie

---
[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-netinfo-api-20110607/