Re: Charter Comments

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:06:20 -0500
To: ext Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
CC: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>, public-coremob@w3.org
On 2/29/12 11:25 AM, ext Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:13:42 +0100, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed 29 Feb 2012 02:41:33 PM CET, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>
>>> #2 Test suite - it's good to see any initiative identify test cases
>>> as a priority. It seems to me the most effective use of the CG's
>>> testing resources for the specs within the CG's interest, would be
>>> to directly contribute to existing test suites rather than for the
>>> CG to create its own test suite(s). Additionally, if there are test
>>> suite gaps for specs of interest, the CG's testing resources should
>>> be directed to the relevant WG. [For example, see WebApps' "Testing"
>>> column in <http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/PubStatus> for gaps
>>> in WebApps' test suites e.g. File API spec.] Let's please not
>>> duplicate testing resources.
>>
>> Yes, I strongly agree with this. If the group wants to release its
>> own *presentation* of test results according to some mobile-centric
>> view of what's important that's fine (although I note upfront that
>> there are deep issues with this kind of thing; it is very hard to
>> make things fair and sets bad incentives for contributers). But all
>> the tests should be drawn from existing test repositories for HTML,
>> WebApps, CSS, etc. and any new tests should be contributed directed
>> to those repositories.
>
> Couldn't agree more. But that is what I thought is already proposed -
> if so this is an editorial clarification.
>
> Or did I miss something?

Well I hope we're all on the same page here. So given the following in
the spec text:

[[
All normative content will be specified exclusively by reference to the
original standard defining the feature. Additional non-normative
implementation guidance may be included.
]]

Is the expectation:

* The CG {will | expects to} create tests for its own "non-normative
guidance" statements

* If the CG identifies any testing related issues e.g. gaps, bugs, etc.
for "normative references" the CG {will | expects to} contribute tests,
patches, etc. to the relevant WG

-Thanks, AB