Re: Ringmark is now open source

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On 4/16/12 10:49 PM, "James Graham" <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Tobie Langel wrote:
>
>>> For example, developers targeting mobile devices expect Array iterables
>>> be available. Not implementing those is very much an issue. No
>>> implementing Object.freeze: not so much.
>>
>> Is there any actual browser that has implemented one but not the other?
>
> I haven't run tests on mobile devices, but this it what it looks like for
> desktop browsers: http://kangax.github.com/es5-compat-table/

So it seems that all current stable versions of desktop browsers implement
all listed features (but have a bug with ZW characters) - note that the
information about Opera is out of date and what's listed as Opera 12 is
actually true for the latest stable 11.62 release. Testing Mobile Opera
and Mobile Firefox and shows the same featuresets as their desktop
counterparts. I haven't tested the various WebKit-based mobile browsers
but I assume they are showing the same level of compliance as desktop
Chrome/Safari (depending on whether they use v8 or JSC), unless they use
an outdated version of the ES engine. In that case they will be equally
ES5.1 conformant in the next release when they upgrade.

Conclusion: for implementors there is no dilemma here. Just use the latest
version of your ES engine and you will get ES5.1 support with all features
(modulo bugs). Authors may need to be aware of bugs in any implementation,
or missing features in older implementations, but this is just like
anything else. Therefore there is no need for us to try and subset
ECMAScript in the implementor-facing spec.