Re: Ringmark is now open source

On Sun 15 Apr 2012 02:25:11 AM CEST, Tobie Langel wrote:
> On 4/14/12 11:46 PM, "James Graham"<jgraham@opera.com>  wrote:

>>> We should aim for full support of ES5.1 in coremob level 1. If level 0
>>> is
>>> to be a de facto standard, there aren't enough compliant ES5
>>> implementation in the wild yet to justify making full support an
>>> absolute
>>> requirement.
>>
>> [citation needed]
>>
>> I'm 100% sure that there aren't any "compliant" ES3 implementations; it
>> simply isn't possible to be 100% compliant and work on websites.
>> I believe that all current browsers target ES5.1 and, at least on
>> desktop, most browsers do very well on the testsuite.
>
> So I absolutely agree both specs should give a very clear signal that ES5
> is the target. I don't want to make all of ES5 a requirement in level 0
> however
> as a) devs don't rely on all the features and b) there aren't any fully
> compliant (mobile) implementations yet.

Neither are there any fully compliant mobile implementations of ES3.
But all browsers are now targeting ES5.1, including in cases where
there are different requirements for ES5.1 vs ES3. Since there isn't
strict backwards compatibility between the two languages, it's not
really possible to say "ES3 + x" and come up with something that any
implementation should target.

It feels like you don't want to add ES5.1 as a requirement because of
some existing browser. But the specification is clearly written as a
specification for UAs. I don't see the value in specifying that future
UAs must target less than they actually do target based on the fact
that some legacy UA didn't have a full implementation of some new
feature.

If you also want to write a document that has requirements on authors
then it could make more sense to give some requirement to avoid
features that are known to have buggy or missing implementations in
extant UAs. But no one seems to be working on that document at the
moment.