Re: Ringmark is now open source

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On 4/13/12 6:17 PM, "Thaddee Tyl" <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are we talking about the same document[1], here?
>>> [1]: http://coremob.github.com/level-0/index.html
>>
>> Considering that the name of the thread is "Ringmark is now
>> open-source", Lars' comment seems relevant to me.
>
> That's doubtful. Lars is answering the question: "what parts of the
> current R0 document would you remove?"

FWIW I expect the confusion here arises from the fact that ringmark tests
things that are only to be implemented prefixed (per e.g. CSS WG
guidelines), and considers an implementation with a prefix to be a pass. I
think this is a very problematic approach; prefixes are bad for the long
term health of the web and at best should get partial credit; we should be
putting pressure on the CSS WG to unprefix things that we think are needed
today rather than promoting the user-hostile, developer-hostile status-quo
of long-lived fragmentation.

The Ring 0 document also curently calls for implementations of a number of
things that are aiui still quite unstable e.g. flexbox. Could we loop in
someone from the CSSWG to see which of the listed specs are considered
mostly stable?

Some more comments:

"Implementors should pay special attention to" seems silly. We should just
link to the testsuite. In general I don't like subsetting specs that
aren't using the living standard model of HTML5.

I don't see any reason not to require ES5.1 support. Or rather I don't see
any reason to prefer partial ES5.1 support over full support.

I also note that there is a MUST level requirement that is implicitly
reduced to a SHOULD by the following text, and is untestable (about tel:,
mms:, etc. URI shcemes).