Proxy-based Web browsers (was: Re: Ringmark is now open source)

Hi Tobie, all,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com> wrote:
[...]
> In case there's ambiguity around what a "modern mobile web application"
> is, the Mobile Web Application Best Practices Rec[4] has a definition
> which fits our intent and purpose very well:
>
>    "For the purposes of this document, the term "Web application" refers
> to a Web page (XHTML or a variant thereof + CSS) or collection of Web
> pages delivered over HTTP which use server-side or client-side processing
> (e.g. JavaScript) to provide an "application-like" experience within a Web
> browser. Web applications are distinct from simple Web content (the focus
> of BP1) in that they include locally executable elements of interactivity
> and persistent state."
>
> I suggest we stick with this definition (well, replacing the XHTML bit by
> HTML). Note that it clearly rules out Opera mini on the ground of both
> it's strictly proxied architecture and its sparse feature set[5].

I don't think the "proxied" nature of browsers such as Opera Mini is a
valid reason to exclude them. The Mobile Web Best Practices Working
Group that produced the definition you mentioned used to consider
proxy-based browsers as "distributed user agents" (see for instance
the Scope section in the Guidelines for Web Content Transformation
Proxies Note [1]). From an external perspective, they are Web browsers
as any other regular Web browser.

I'm fine with the feature set argument since that is precisely what
this Level 0 and Level 1 are to specify.

Francois.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ct-guidelines/#sec-scope