Globalisation Re: Rough first draft of Level 0

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:17:01 +0200, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 17:22, andrea.trasatti@nokia.com wrote:
>
>> I would like much better something along the lines of "Coremob level 0
>> is a de facto standard, aiming to describe the current state of the
>> Mobile Web Platform. In order to define the de facto standard we chose
>> to focus on the default browsers on deployed handsets and considered
>> only those that had at least X% of the browsing market share during
>> year Y as reported by Z".
>
> I agree, but I would like to explicitly see the words "world-wide"
> somewhere in there (or similar). Coremob should be representative off
> the world market, not just the US market.

Yes. In fact the problem is trickier than this. We can take "the
US/Western Europe" or something approximating it, and work for that. It's
the "main game" for many, because it is the biggest single pot of money.
But there are huge regional variations in what matters to people, and we
should work out whether we care about them, in which case we need to do
the work of discovering what is different between e.g. South Africa,
Congo, Tunisia, Monaco and Sweden. Otherwise we should restrict our scope
and ask the "rest of the world" to make their own core requirements...

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk