Re: Rough first draft of Level 0

On Apr 1, 2012, at 10:32 AM, ext Tobie Langel wrote:

> On 4/1/12 4:17 PM, "Arthur Barstow" <Art.Barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> Where is the criteria used to add a feature to the spec?
>
> It's right here:
> http://www.w3.org/community/coremob/wiki/Specs/Coremob_Level_0

Hello all,
my first post in this CG. I followed the interesting conversation and I would like to add a small request.

I would like to see a little clarification on
"Coremob level 0 is a de facto standard, aiming to describe the current state of the Mobile Web Platform. It is based off of market shares of the default browsers on deployed handsets. For the purpose of simplicity, this was roughly identified as the intersection in feature set of the Android 2.2 Froyo and iOS5 default browsers."

What market share are we talking about? Sales? Browsing market share? Is there a time frame?

This is not different from the problem we had in the MWBP when we had to define a basic set of device+browser characteristics: you need to fine a class of device and a timeframe because this industry moves to fast that by the time you are publishing your spec it might have all changed.

The way this sentence reads sounds almost like "We wanted to define level 0 as what Android 2.2 and iOS5 support and this is how we justify it".

I would like much better something along the lines of "Coremob level 0 is a de facto standard, aiming to describe the current state of the Mobile Web Platform. In order to define the de facto standard we chose to focus on the default browsers on deployed handsets and considered only those that had at least X% of the browsing market share during year Y as reported by Z".

The easiest source of browsing information that comes to my mind is StatCounter, but maybe comScore or Quantcast has some information published that we can use freely.

Andrea