Re: Ringmark is now open source

From: Stephanie Rieger <steph@yiibu.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:27:34 +0100
Cc: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>, Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com>, "Wonsuk Lee" <wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com>, "public-coremob@w3.org" <public-coremob@w3.org>
To: Matt Kelly <mk@fb.com>
I'm finding that the Ringmark message is quite contradictory.

Your initial Ringmark announcement (on the Facebook blog) states:
"Ring Zero represents the base functionality that *most mobile phone* have today. Ring One represents what functionality is needed to unlock the most common apps that developers want to build; specifically, 2D games, music and video apps, and camera apps."

This is in stark contrast to what you are now saying on this list:

"Ring 0 is focused on giving developers an accurate view of what functionality is available for building *modern web apps on smartphones*. In that context, iOS Safari and the Android browser have nearly all of the market share."

I think this lack of clarity needs to be remedied as there is already enough confusion in the marketplace about which browsers/platforms are the most popular and which features are supported (and how well) on each one.

Like others, i'm also concerned that you've set the Ring 0 bar too high. I'm also worried that specifically naming iOS 5 and Froyo as starting points may cause these to become de-facto mobile quality benchmarks, deflecting away from the fact whole initiative is about feature testing, and that a user may well be using the Froyo platform version...but doing so with QQ, Opera Mini or Skyfire instead of the native browser.

It's also not clear what a developer should do if a browser 'almost passes' the Ring 0 feature tests. Ultimately, the decision should be left up to each developer but the very wording of Level 0 (something less than zero is never considered good) may cause people to think otherwise.

Steph