Re: [VCARDDAV] contacts coordination

From: Renato Iannella <renato@iannella.it>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:26:09 +1000
Cc: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>, CardDAV <vcarddav@ietf.org>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
To: jsmarr@stanfordalumni.org, public-contacts-coord@w3.org

On 9 Sep 2010, at 10:57, Joseph Smarr wrote:

> Sure, look at http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-contacts-api-20100701/#idl-def-ContactProperties (scroll up a bit to see the note about how their schema is based on PoCo).

I am actually quite surprised by this (and no offence to PoCo ;-)

All of the attributes listed in that Working Draft are pretty much what is in vCard (the industry standard with the widest deployment, from the IETF). I did not see the xtra social attributes listed (eg food, heroes, etc)

I tried to look thru the email archives to see why....and found a small discussion [1] with the argument:

  "As PoCo represents a larger set of Contact attributes, I'd like to propose that we make PoCo the basis of the DAP Contacts API"

Again, this "larger set" is not evident in the WD. Was this the right decision to make?

And, ironically, the Introduction [2] says "The API itself is agnostic of any underlying address book sources"

Cheers

Renato Iannella
http://renato.iannella.it

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Nov/0045.html