Re: [VCARDDAV] contact format coordination - next steps

From: Renato Iannella <renato@iannella.it>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:12:30 +1000
Cc: jsmarr@stanfordalumni.org, CardDAV <vcarddav@ietf.org>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, public-contacts-coord@w3.org
To: Joseph Smarr <jsmarr@google.com>

On 9 Sep 2010, at 10:38, Joseph Smarr wrote:

> It also defends against the "oh, looks like this spec isn't for me because it doesn't support fields X, Y, or Z that are common for my use case" problem, which I worry vCard as currently proposed will face, at least in the broader social web space.

I think the issue is that someone looks at vCard (for example) and says..."there are no zodiac-sign properties" so I will go and re-invent *all* the same properties, add my zodiac-sign, use a new (different) namespace and....well you know the rest...

I don't think vCard's role is to incorporate all the "social" properties one can think of....it is more the "core" properties that interest vCard.

The problem then is - others are then reluctant to *reuse* the vCard semantics/namespace - preferring to re-invent all the properties again, usually with slight changes to property names etc.

The other good example of this if FOAF - repeats most of the vCard properties - but does not *reuse* them.

Now, just seen the OMA contacts spec and wondering if the moon is made of cheese ;-)

Cheers

Renato Iannella
http://renato.iannella.it