Re: [VCARDDAV] contact format coordination - next steps

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 20:37:03 -0400
To: Renato Iannella <renato@iannella.it>, jsmarr@stanfordalumni.org, CardDAV <vcarddav@ietf.org>
cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, public-contacts-coord@w3.org
Hi Renato,

--On September 9, 2010 10:31:23 AM +1000 Renato Iannella
<renato@iannella.it> wrote:

> I agree strongly here - which I have posted in the past [1] [2]
> We must provide *easy and non-verbose* XML encodings.

No - not at the expense of making the conversion between XML and native
vCard much harder to implement (with the likelihood of significantly
impacting interoperability). The current format trivially maps the
semantics of the vCard data model to XML element structure. There is no
special casing of any property or value type, so writing a converter is
easy. Also, this is more extensible because any new type of property
extension on the vCard side can immediately be converted to XML.

--
Cyrus Daboo