Re: [VCARDDAV] contact format coordination - next steps

From: Renato Iannella <renato@iannella.it>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 10:31:23 +1000
Cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, public-contacts-coord@w3.org
To: jsmarr@stanfordalumni.org, CardDAV <vcarddav@ietf.org>
On 9 Sep 2010, at 05:08, Joseph Smarr wrote:

>  For instance, compare the representations of gender in Portable Contacts and the proposed vCard XML:
> <gender>male</gender>
> vs.
> I think it's hard to argue that the first version (PoCo) is far more readable and semantically clear.

I agree strongly here - which I have posted in the past [1] [2]
We must provide *easy and non-verbose* XML encodings.

>  I'm aware of, and vCard does not seem to have added many (if any) social networking fields. Again, I worry that this will limit the perceived applicability of vCard 4 to only traditional contact stores, and misses the opportunity to make vCard the de facto standard for "people data" more generally.

Can you give some examples of the types of new social networking fields that were added to PoCo?

Do you mean the ones taken from OpenSocial? (eg tvShows, pets....) ?

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com