RE: ( LC-2882)

Thank you Michael for e-mail. I agree with the response. I take it the WCAG WG considers this more a question of related to the accessibility support base line.

Wilco Fiers

Van: akirkpat@adobe.com [akirkpat@adobe.com]
Verzonden: dinsdag 11 maart 2014 18:13
Aan: Wilco Fiers
CC: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org
Onderwerp: Re:  ( LC-2882)

 Dear Wilco Fiers  ,

The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group has reviewed the
comments you sent [1] on the Last Call Working Draft [2] of the Techniques
for WCAG 2.0 published on 16 Jan 2014. Thank you for having taken the time
to review the document and to send us comments!

The Working Group's response to your comment is included below.

Please review it carefully and let us know by email at
public-comments-wcag20@w3.org if you agree with it or not before March 18
2014. In case of disagreement, you are requested to provide a specific
solution for or a path to a consensus with the Working Group. If such a
consensus cannot be achieved, you will be given the opportunity to raise a
formal objection which will then be reviewed by the Director during the
transition of this document to the next stage in the W3C Recommendation
Track.

Thanks,

For the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group,
Michael Cooper
W3C Staff Contact

 1. http://www.w3.org/mid/E1WDDFL-0006Ap-Nm@shauna.w3.org
 2. http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2014/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20140107/

=====

Your comment on H69: Providing heading elements at the beginning of each
section of content:
> It seems pretty important to note that most user agents do not support
> navigating between headings, and not a single one support navigating
> frames (H70) or maps (H50). To my understanding that means that in
> practice none of these techniques can be relied upon except in the
> extremely rare situation where someone is on a closed network using
> Opera (which has no screen reader support as far as I’m aware).
> It seems to me that a warning for this would be in order.
>
> This comment is part of the project for the Accessibility Support
> Database.

Working Group Resolution (LC-2882):
Thank you for your comment.
Technique H69 does  note that   "...techniques assume that people needing
special user agents (including AT or special plug-ins) will get and be
using that  ...". The user agent
section also notes that most screen reader software support heading
navigation. A free screen reader like NVDA can be operated with speech off
and yet allow keyboard navigation
to support sighted keyboard-only users. VoiceOver can be used likewise on
Mac OSX.

Technique H70 has been deprecated in the past, and is no longer included in
the Techniques document.
Therefore, the Working Group believes  no changes are warranted at this
time to techniques H69 or H70.

----