Re: 1.3.1 Info & Relationships - are ARIA landmarks required?

Hi Glenda,

The information to support it is at <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/understanding-techniques.html>, which includes:
* The basis for determining conformance to WCAG 2.0 is the success criteria from the WCAG 2.0 standard—not the techniques.
* Techniques are informative—that means they are not required.
* There may be other ways to meet success criteria besides the sufficient techniques in W3C's Techniques for WCAG 2.0 document.
* Web content does not have to use W3C's published techniques in order to conform to WCAG 2.0.

Best,
~Shawn

-----
Shawn Lawton Henry
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
e-mail: shawn@w3.org
phone: +1.617.395.7664
about: http://www.w3.org/People/Shawn/