2.4.1 Bypass Blocks - is it only required to meet one of the sufficient techniques?

From: Glenda Sims <glenda.sims@deque.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:20:43 -0500
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org, wai@w3.org
Dear WAI,

I need clarification on 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks.  Can you tell me if my
interpretation is correct:

I think it is possible to pass WCAG 2.0 SC 2.4.1 by doing ONE of the

   1. Creating links to skip blocks of repeated materials.
   2. Grouping blocks of repeated material in a way that can be skipped.

In other words, I think you can pick a single technique from either of
these options and pass 2.4.1.

For example:

*If Site "A" met "G1*:  Adding a link at the top of each page that goes
directly to the main content area"  , *it would pass 2.4.1 *(even if Site A
did not employ anything that address "grouping blocks of repeated material
in a way that can be skipped".

*If Site "B" met "H69: * Providing heading elements at the beginning of
each section of content", *it would pass 2.4.1* (even if Site B did not
employe anything that addresses "creating links to skip blocks of repeated

I know this is a very narrow interpretation of WCAG 2.0 SC 2.4.1, and with
all my heart I recommend it is a best practice to employ both headings and
skip links, but the question at hand is...do I "fail" a site on WCAG 2.0 SC
2.4.1 if it doesn't have sufficient techniques for both "creating links to
skip blocks of repeated materials" and "grouping blocks of repeated
material in a way that can be skipped"?

Thanks in advance for your insight (as you might guess, the Deque
Accessibility Experts are not in agreement in how to interpret this).

glenda sims    |    deque.com    |    512.963.3773

*web for everyone. web on everything.* -  w3 goals