Re: SCR18: Providing client-side validation and alert

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Devarshi Pant <devarshipant@gmail.com>wrote:

> SCR18: Providing client-side validation and alert. Refer to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/SCR18

> technique for SC 3.3.1 when implemented on pages that have multiple
> mandatory form fields (Situation A), or follow Situation B. I have
> noticed when there are more than a certain number of form fields,
> client side validation is generally not helpful -- as a user must
> resubmit and then follow the pop up dialog route for every incorrectly
> filled field.
>
> Proposed Change: Make it an advisory technique that works under
> specific conditions, say when there are fewer than three (3) mandatory
> form fields on the page.
>
> - Devarshi

Thank you for your comment.  The technique as it stands is still
sufficient, regardless of the number of times it is applied, because if it
is correctly applied for every form field, the success criterion will be
satisfied, no matter how many form fields there are.

Note that in the example, the field is validated as soon as it is
completed. It is not necessary to submit the form to validate the field.
However, missing required fields may not be caught until the form is
submitted.