Re: Proposed a failure of 2.4.3 focus order when dynamically inserting content above the control

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: David MacDonald
> Email: davidmacdonald100@yahoo.com
> Affiliation: WCAG team member, Invited Expert
> Document: TD
> Item Number: (none selected)
> Part of Item: Description
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: Proposed a failure of 2.4.3 focus order when dynamically
> inserting content above the control
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-focus-order.html
>
> I have long felt that inserting dynamic content behind the control that is
> inserting the content, messes up screen reader users. If the inserted
> information has any focus-able content then I suggest it is a failure if
> 2.4.3 because the person is at a certain point of moving through the page,
> and important information that they want to focus on is behind them in the
> focus order.
>
> Proposed Change:
> I can create a technique
>
> failure of 2.4.3 due to dynamic insertion of focus-able content before the
> control that inserts it.

This is covered by our change of context provisions.   If there is a change
behind the person that is due to just navigating, then it is a failure of
3.2.1 or  3.2.2 if it is due to input.   But once a person activates a
control, a link, etc,   any change of context is allowed.  Changing the
context behind the present point of focus is not good -- but it is not a
failure of the page because the page becomes a 'new context' or a new page
if you will.    Activating the control can also cause page content to
appear or disappear.