Re: Known failures should include setting main page container overflow to hidden preventing scrollbars

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Jon Avila
> Email: jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com
> Affiliation: SSB
> Document: UW
> Item Number: Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.4
> Part of Item: Common Failures
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: Known failures should include setting main page
> container overflow to hidden preventing scrollbars
> I've found a number of pages that set the main page container to overflow:
> hidden thus preventing horizontal scrollbars from appearing when resizing
> the page.  Skittles.com is an example.
>
> Add a new failure stating any technique that prevents scrollbars from
> appearing when the page is resized that also causes the text/content from
> being cut off would fail this success criteria.
>

> Proposed Change:
> Known failure: setting the overflow style to hidden on containing elements
> preventing scrollbars to appears when the page is zoomed up to 200% in the
> user agent.

Thank you for your comment. Failure F69, "Failure of Success Criterion
1.4.4 when resizing visually rendered text up to 200 percent causes the
text, image or controls to be clipped, truncated or obscured", calls this
out as one of the practices that causes this failure, and Example 2
demonstrates the failure. We do not feel a separate failure is appropriate.