Re: innerHTMLnow part of DOM spec (HTML5) and widely used - allow?

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 4:26 AM,  <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Detlev Fischer
> Email: fischer@dias.de
> Affiliation: DIAS GmbH
> Document: TD
> Item Number: SCR21
> Part of Item: Description
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: innerHTMLnow part of DOM spec (HTML5) and widely used - allow?
> The description of SCR21 has it that "the innerHTML property is not part of the DOM specification and thus should be avoided".
> innerHTML is part of the (emerging) HTML5 spec
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/apis-in-html-documents.html#innerhtml) and also used widely in JS-Frameworks.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Check whether the use of innerHTML creates any accessibility problems. If not, the description and test procedure should be updated to allow innerHTML.

We agree that the inclusion of innerHTML in the HTML5 spec means that
we should reconsider this issue. We will be addressing HTML5-related
techniques after the current update. We will add this to our list of
HTML5 features to review. To ensure that we don't overlook this, we
have added an issue to our tracker:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/track/issues/10.