Re: Techniques for WCAG 2.0: T3: Using standard text formatting conventions for headings (TXT)

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM, devarshi pant <devarshipant@gmail.com>wrote:

> Loretta, if I understand this correctly, this is a technique to assist
> screen reader users. If that is true, there is no mention of the supporting
> assistive technology applicable to this technique. We should also state, if
> possible, where and how to obtain these scripts.
>
> There is a good chance that a user may question the applicability of screen
> magnification software to decipher headings in plain text documents using
> formatting conventions.
>
> On a sidebar, does this technique satisfy SC 1.3.1 on the basis that only a
> screen reader user can understand the underlying structure of the document?
>

> Proposed Change: In the ‘Applicability’ section, add a sentence something
> like –
> “Only applicable to screen readers.”
>
> Thanks,
> Devarshi

 The applicability section of the techniques is for the destination
technology and not a specific browser or Assistive technology. On the other
hand the user agent notes section is to log known bugs and inconsistencies
in the AT's rendering of various technologies. We don't think we should add
a User agent section because there is no unexpected behaviour of AT with
this (no bugs) that we know of, and the "Applicability" is sufficiently
noted as only applying to technologies that have no underlying structure.

This technique attempts to create basic structure by allowing two carriage
returns to be the identifier for a heading. In the example the programmatic
identification of the Heading is the two blank lines proceeding it. Text
documents are necessarily void of underlying structure and so structure must
be indicated in the programmatic layout for screen readers.

A screen magnifier user would decipher headings by visually identifying the
space before it (or their technology may have Screen reader capabilities
that can identify the spaces)

Of course text is not optimal for screen magnification, however, plain text
can be an fallback which many screen reader users prefer.
We would not want to see text examples left out of the techniques document
because of their current usefulness in many situations, and their historical
proliferation as an accessible alternative.