Re: I feel that the 2 sufficient techniques should be 'and' not 'or'.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Sheena McCullagh <
sheena.mccullagh@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> **
>  Hi Loretta,
>
> You've completely missed my point.  If H69 etc is used to pass this
> criterion you are only helping screen reader users.
>
> What about those of us who navigate with the keyboard but are sighted, ie
> do not use assistive technology of any sort?  Correct heading structure is
> of no benefit what-so-ever to us.
>
> If you don't want an AND, perhaps 2.4.1 should be split into two
> requirements so that the first requirement is to provide a method for
> keyboard users to bypass blocks and the second requirement is to provide a
> method for AT users to bypass blocks.  As we both know there is a precedent
> for splitting a single SC into various requirements - 1.4.8.
>
> Sheena
>
>  ================================
The author of web content needs to be sure that the technique used to meet a
success criterion is supported by the user agents available to his users. We
add User Agent notes to advise authors of limitations in user agents support
for a technique, and we have done so with H69. Because there are
environments in which there is sufficient user agent support, we continue to
list it as a sufficient technique for SC 2.4.1.

We notice that the trend among browsers is to provide minimal functionality
in the browsers themselves, but to support plugin and extension mechanisms
for adding functionality that isn't needed by all users. This lets users
customize the browser to their own needs. Support for keyboard navigation
via header appears to be one of the functions that will usually be found in
such extensions.

We are adding to the Resources for H69 to list some of the plugins currently
available for providing keyboard navigation via headers:

For Firefox, the following plugins provide header navigation via the
keyboard:
 Accessibility Evaluation Toolbar <
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/accessibility-evaluation-toolb/

 Heading Navigation Greasemonkey User Script <
http://juicystudio.com/article/heading-navigation-greasemonkey-user-script.php

 Heading navigation in web browsers <
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201003/heading_navigation_in_web_browsers