Re: Other PDF readers exist.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:04 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Andrew Arch
> Email: andrew.arch@finance.gov.au
> Affiliation: Australian Government Information Management Office
> Document: TD
> Item Number: (none selected)
> Part of Item: User Agent Notes
> Comment Type: question
> Summary of Issue: Other PDF readers exist.
> User Agents -
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2011/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20110621/pdf.html#pdf_notes_ua
>
> This section only mentions Acrobat Pro, Adobe Reader, and Kurzweil 3000.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Many other PDF readers are available (e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software) and if any of them can
> reveal PDF tags they should also be
> listed in this guidance. Name and version of tools would be highly useful.
> Conversely, if
> no other PDF reader (apart from the three listed) are capable of revealing
> PDF tags, then
> this should be stated if known (noting information is current at time of
> publishing only). Additional guidance would be useful in this area.

To our knowledge, there are no other PDF readers that expose PDF tags via
the accessibility APIs. We had previously gone through the Wiki artcle on
PDF and assessed those, and our document reflects our findings as of earlier
this year when we did so.

We do not want to say there are no others in this document because of the
changing pace of technology. New tools can be released at any time, and this
document is updated infrequently.