Re: G192: Example

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM,  <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Infoaxia, Inc.
> Document: TD
> Item Number: G192
> Part of Item: Examples
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: G192: Example
> It reads "Specification requirements that can not be identified by validation are also checked and any failures are corrected."
>
> Need more concrete description and examples for "Specification requirements that can not be identified by validation". We couldn't understand what this means.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Add reason and/or description and examples why only validating web pages would not be sufficient for fully conforming to specifications.

Specifications include requirements that cannot be machine checked.
For instance, in the HTML 4.0 specification, the description of the
alt attribute at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#alternate-text
includes not specifying meaningless alternate text. However, there is
no way for a validator to determine whether the description is
meaningless.

Similarly, the specification for the title attribute at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#title says that the
attribute offers advisory information about the element for which it
is set. There is no way to validate whether the title information is
advisory.