Re: SC 1.4.7 Why "audio-only"?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM,  <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Infoaxia, Inc.
> Document: W2
> Item Number: Success Criterion 1.4.7
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: SC 1.4.7 Why "audio-only"?
> The definition for "audio-only" reads "a time-based presentation that contains only audio (no video and no interaction)".
>

> Does this mean that this SC is not applied to the video which is synchronized with the audio?
>

> The video which has the audio track also needs "to ensure that any non-speech sounds are low enough that a user who is hard of hearing can separate the speech from background sounds or other noise foreground speech content".
>

> If yes, please explain the reason.
>

> If no, "For prerecorded audio-only content" should be "For prerecorded audio content".
>
> Proposed Change:
> Need clarification.

Yes. The use of "audio-only" in the context of this SC does mean that
it does not apply to video that is synchronized with audio.

For video, any information provided via the audio track would also be
available via captions, audio description or an alternative for
time-based media per the success criteria in Guideline 1.2.

However, we agree that it is a best practice to apply SC 1.4.7 to
synchronized video where possible and have added an advisory technique
to SC 1.4.7 to make this clear:

"Providing an audio track for synchronized media that includes
background sounds that are at least 20 decibels lower than speech