Re: SC 1.1.1 & Conforming Alternate Version

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM,  <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Infoaxia, Inc.
> Document: UW
> Item Number: Understanding Success Criterion 1.1.1
> Part of Item: Sufficient Techniques
> Comment Type: question
> Summary of Issue: SC 1.1.1 & Conforming Alternate Version
> - A web page uses Flash which is non-conforming.
>
> - Flash is a technology that this content "uses but does not rely upon".
>
> - A link to conforming alternate HTML version is provided by using "G190: Providing a link adjacent to or associated with a non-conforming object that links to a conforming alternate version" in order to meet Conformance Requirement #1.
>
> - object element is used for embedding Flash.
>

> In this case, do we have to provide text alternative for Flash by using "H53: Using the body of the object element"?
>

> If a link to conforming alternate version is provided via an accessibility-supported mechanism, it can be sufficient as users can go to conforming alternate version by following the link.
>

> Providing a descriptive label for Flash can be redundant.
>
> Proposed Change:

Conformance Requirement 1 requires that either all of the items for a
given conformance level are met *or* a conforming alternate version is
provided. Therefore, providing the conforming alternate version only
would meet the letter of the requirement. However, in the scenario you
describe, we suggest also using technique H53 to provide a short text
alternative for the Flash content and a link to the conforming
alternate version.