Re: G182: Example 3(3rd bullet)

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 8:35 AM,  <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Infoaxia, Inc.
> Document: TD
> Item Number: G182
> Part of Item: Examples
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: G182: Example 3(3rd bullet)
> Is the link in this example not underlined? If it is underlined, we don't need to change its font face.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Need clarification. As a whole, G182 can't be a sufficient technique for SC 1.4.1.
>
> If it is "Words that are links in a paragraph", underlined link text would be sufficient.
>
> If it is "Items in a list where some are different than others and are presented in colored text", additional information needs to be provided in text so that screen reader users can understand it.

The applicability section mentions some common examples where authors
use color to convey information. The example describes an additional
option where a sentence at the end of a paragraph is a link to
additional details.

G182 is about the use of color. If the link were underlined, you are
correct that the underlined link text would be sufficient.

However, screen readers announce the presence of links (or play a
sound to indicate their presence). Therefore, there would be no
confusion about the fact that the sentence is a link.

We have revised the example as follows:

A news page includes short short descriptions of articles followed by
links (without underlines) to the full story. The links are presented
in color and also use a sans-serif font face while the rest of the
paragraph is in black Times-Roman so that users who can not identify
the color difference can still see that there is a difference between
the article description and the link.