Re: SCR35: Example 3

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM, <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Infoaxia, Inc.
> Document: TD
> Item Number: SCR35
> Part of Item: Examples
> Comment Type: question
> Summary of Issue: SCR35: Example 3
> Example 3 reads "This approach can be used by sites that do not rely on script, if and only if the form post provides the same functionality as the script."
>

> And It has a link to a working example( http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/working-examples/SCR35/jsbutton.html). However it reads "or will load a Web page that explains that JavaScript is required to interact with the site."
>

> If a web page just explains that JavaScript is required to interact with the site, this technique can't be used when JavaScript is not a relied upon technology. Because the web page doesn't provide "the same functionality as the script".
>
> Proposed Change:
> Remove Example 3 or revise its working example. The same functionality as the script must be provided even if JavaScript is turned off or not supported.

Thank you. We have updated the example as follows:

Button that runs a script and falls back to a form post for users
without script. This approach can be used to create sites that do not
rely on script, if and only if the form post provides the same
functionality as the script. The onsubmit="return false;" prevents the
form from submitting.

The working example will be revised to say "The action attribute of
the enclosing form element submits the form to the server which has a
script to perform the action."