Re: Modify H81 so it is AT supported

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Sailesh Panchang <
sailesh.panchang@deque.com> wrote:

> H81: Identifying the purpose of a link in a nested list using link text
> combined with the parent list item under which the list is nested
> Thank you for taking note of my input and adding a user agent note to H81.
> (Ref: your email dated Oct 3, 2008)
> So in reality H81 is not a sufficient technique today.
>
> If the parent item is marked up as a heading, the context of the link can
> be
> queried without losing focus. In other words apply H80 to it.
> So please consider modifying the technique to:
> H81: Identifying the purpose of a link in a nested list with reference to
> the parent list item marked up as a header.
> An h3 or h4 tag should be added to the parent items in the examples.
> Thanks,
> Sailesh Panchang
> Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
> Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
> 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
> Reston VA 20191
> Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)
> E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com

Technique H81 provides correct semantic information for establishing the
parent-child relationships between a list item and the items in a nested
list within it. It also provides informative visual presentation of the
relationships by default in all browsers.

It is true that most screen readers at this point in time do not provide a
method by which a screen reader user can query for a parent list item. At
the current time we are only aware of this capability in the FireVox plug in
for the Firefox browser. We anticipate future support in screen readers to
recognize this parent-child relationship and enable identification of a
parent list item as they do for headings. Thus we do not feel it is
appropriate to apply technique H80 to technique H81.

Thanks.