From: Loretta Guarino Reid [mailto:lorettaguarino@google.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 5:25 PM
To: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Cc: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org
Subject: Re: H48 included in H50

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Sailesh Panchang
<sailesh.panchang@deque.com> wrote:

> H50     Using structural elements (ul/ol,map) to group links    2.4.1
> H48     Using ol, ul and dl for lists   1.3.1
>
> I believe H48 can be merged with H50 and  H48 can be deleted. As per last
> email, H50 should reference 1.3.1 and 2.4.1.
> The pair H48 and H50 are like the other pair H42 and H69 (use of heading
> tags). Both duplicate a technique and refer to a single SC. I had reported
> about the earlier pair previously.
>
> Sailesh Panchang
> Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
> Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
> 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
> Reston VA 20191
> Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)
> E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com

H50 applies only to grouping links, and covers the use of map as well
as list elements; H48 is a more general technique that applies to any
kind of list, not just to lists of links.

There clearly is a large overlap in the details of these techniques,
but neither completely contains the other. They are intended to
demonstrate ways of meeting different requirements, albeit with
similar underlying markup.

We would welcome suggestions for ways to make the difference between
the two techniques clearer, but we think it would be more difficult to
understand how they apply to the different success criteria if they
were combined into a single technique.