Re: WCAG 2: Request for Response

Thanks, Makoto.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Makoto Ueki <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Loretta,
>
> Here are my comments for the responses from WCAG WG.
>
> > [1]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0031.html
>
> This is not my comment, right? :-)

Oops - sorry...

> > [2]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0032.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [3]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0033.html
>
> WCAG WG should add the response to the Understanding document:
> ---
> Symbols could apply to 'anything that represents something else' See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol . It is not limited to graphic
> symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
> comprehension difficulties.
> ---
> Wihout this, the readers could misunderstand that "symbols" means
> "graphic symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
> comprehension difficulties. Actually JIS working group misunderstood
> it and was confused.

We are adding  the following note to Understanding Guideline 1.1:

Note: While changing the content into symbols includes changing it into
graphic symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
comprehension difficulties, it is not limited to this use of symbols.

> > [4]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0034.html
>
> OK. This explanation should be included in the Understanding document.
> ---
> This means "indicating that something will happen or has already
> happened". For example, using color to indicate that a link will open
> in a new window or that a database entry been updated successfully.
> "Prompting a response" refers to a use of color that would indicate
> that the user should do something. For example, a Web page could use
> highlighting on form fields to indicate that a required field had been
> left blank.
> ---
> Non-English speaking readers could misunderstand what it means.

 We are adding the following to Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.1:

Examples of indicating an action include using color to indicate that a link
will open in a new window or that a database entry has been updated
successfully. An example of prompting a response would be using highlighting
on form fields to indicate that a required field had been left blank.

> > [5]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0035.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [6]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0036.html
>
> It is still hard to understand what "glyph" includes. Visual examples
> of "glyph" would help the readers to understand it, especially for
> non-English speaking readers.

In Understanding 1.4.8, we are adding
"Lines should not exceed 80 characters or glyphs, where glyphs are the
element of writing in the writing system for the text."

We are looking into adding visual examples of glyphs.

> > [7]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0037.html
>
> Please see:
> http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/zxfleading_img.htm
>
> The blue shows "line spacing" or "leading". Am I correct?

Yes, that is correct.

> > [8]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0038.html
>
> In the case of using CSS, what the author have to do is to set
> "line-height:150%".
> Am I correct?

Yes, that is correct. We are adding information to "C21: Specifying line
spacing in CSS" to make it clearer that the examples showing
line-height:150% are examples of space-and-a-half line spacing.

> > [9]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0039.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [10]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0040.html
>
> OK.
> "Timing" has been a part of Japanese language and doesn't mean "time
> limit".
> Now we can understand what this note means.
>
> > [11]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0041.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [12]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0042.html
>
> OK. It became understandable and translatable.
>
> > [13]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0043.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [14]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0044.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [15]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0045.html
>
> Let me confirm.
> Conformance claim at Level AA is encouraged to include the list of
> success criteria at Level AAA the site already met. Am I correct?

Yes, that is correct.

> > [16]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0046.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [17]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0047.html
>
> OK.
> Are all of the words in glossary used in the same meaning? If so, no
> problem.
> We thought that the word "process" in SC 2.2.2 Note 3 was different
> from the "process" in other sections, but we were not sure and it was
> very confusing for us to translate the documents. For translation, all
> words in glossary used in the document should link to the definition
> in glossary. It allows us to translate much easier.

All the words  in the glossary are used with the same meaning. Because of
the tools we are currently using, we cannot create links from all the uses
of the words to the glossary definitions, but we will consider this
suggestion at a later date.

> > [18]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0004.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [19]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0005.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [20]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0006.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [21]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0007.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [22]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0008.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [23]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0010.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [24]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0011.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [25]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0012.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [26]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0032.html
>
> OK.
> JIS working group just started to find the equivalent font size for
> the Japanese characters.
> This Note 5 is fine with JIS working group. We'll find and add the
> size to the new version of  JIS next year.
>
> > [27]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0037.html
>
> OK.
>
> > [28]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0042.html
>
> OK.
> The following information should be added to the Understanding document.
> Without this, nobody can find the equivalent font size for Chinese,
> Korean, or any other languages than the alphabetical language like
> English.
> ---
> The American Printing House for the Blind publishes "The American
> Printing House for the Blind Guidelines for Large Printing"
> <http://www.aph.org/edresearch/lpguide.htm>
> This is where the 18 point minimum comes from.
>
> The Library of Congress publishes "National Library Service for the
> Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), The Library of Congress
> Guidelines for Large Print"
> <http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/circulars/largeprint.html>. This is
> where the 14 point minimum comes from.

We added these reference to the Related Resources, and we are adding an
indication that these are the sources of the 14 pt and 18 pt sizes for Large
Text.