From: Loretta Guarino Reid [mailto:lorettaguarino@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:28 PM
To: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Cc: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org
Subject: Re: Duplicate General techniques: form validation and alt-text

Please see responses inline.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Sailesh Panchang
<sailesh.panchang@deque.com> wrote:

> 1. G83, G84 and G85 that relate to SC 3.3.1 and 3.3.3 employ the same
> testing techniques: Check if validation errors are described in text with
> appropriate tips for correction.
> They could be incomplete data, incorrect range of values or incorrect
format
> or even other (unstated) errors like values entered in one field may not
be
> consistent with other entries in the form. All  are basically validation
> errors. Three separate techniques are not warranted. Merge them.
>
> G83: Providing text descriptions to identify required fields that were not
> completed
> G84: Providing a text description when the user provides information that
is
> not in the list of allowed values
> G85: Providing a text description when user input falls outside the
required
> format or values

While it is true that these are all examples of validation errors, we
think it is helpful to separate them. It draws more attention to these
particular types of validation for which there are suggestions
available. This list is by no means exhaustive, and a generic
validation technique would be a good addition. Would you help us by
writing one and submitting it via
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/TECHS-SUBMIT/  ?