Failure F70 Does not Prohibit Duplicate Attributes

From: Christophe Strobbe (on behalf of BenToWeb) <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:15:13 +0100
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Hi,

When we evaluated test case sc4.1.1_l1_007 [1], which contains an
image with two alt attributes (one empty, the second with a text
alternative), we found the following behaviour: if the image cannot
be loaded, Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 2.0, SeaMonkey 1.1 and
Opera 9.0 (all tested on Windows XP) don't display alt text. This
probably means that the second alt attribute is ignored by these browsers.

This situation is not clearly covered by success criterion 4.1.1 nor
prohibited in failure F70.

Proposal:

Add to SC 4.1.1: "start tags have no duplicate attributes."

[1] http://bentoweb.org/ts/XHTML1_TestSuite3/metadata/sc4.1.1_l1_007

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--