G14: Does example 2 fail the success criterion?

From: Christophe Strobbe (on behalf of BenToWeb) <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:07:22 +0100
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Hi,

When we evaluated test case sc1.4.1_l1_011 [1] for technique G14, we
thought that the second example in that technique fails the success
criterion. The example describes the use of text alternatives on
colour icons (for coding the tracks in a conference). The text
alternative is not good enough (as the test procedure points out)
because that is conditional content; the SC requires that the
colour-coded information is "simultaneously visually evident". That
is not the case for alternative text.

So example 2 appears to fail both the test procedure and the success
criterion.

Proposal:

Remove example 2 (or modify it?).

[1] http://www.bentoweb.org/ts/XHTML1_TestSuite3/metadata/sc1.4.1_l1_011