From: Loretta Guarino Reid [lorettaguarino@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 December 2008 10:55 AM
To: Dylan Nicholson
Cc: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org
Subject: Re: Technique H45 procedure description incomplete

Hi, Dylan,

It feels like there is some confusion about the sufficient techniques. They are consistently written to apply to a single instance of content covered by the corresponding success criterion. It may turn out that the author always uses the same technique, but we have been careful not to make that assumption when describing the technique.

For instance, some images on an HTML page may need long descriptions and some may not. So some images may be using G94: Providing short text alternative for non-text content that serves the same purpose and presents the same information as the non-text content<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20081105/G94>, using H36: Using alt attributes on images used as submit buttons<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20081105/H36>  for the short text alternative. Other images on the same page may be using G95: Providing short text alternatives that provide a brief description of the non-text content<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20081105/G95>, using H36: Using alt attributes on images used as submit buttons<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20081105/H36>  for the short text alternative, and G92: Providing long description for non-text content that serves the same purpose and presents the same information<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20081105/G92> , using H45: Using longdesc<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20081105/H45> for the long description.

As  you noted, all the images are using H36, but they are using it in different ways, and the test procedure for the value of the alt attribute would be different in these two cases.

Success criterion 1.1.1 is a particularly complicated case, with a variety of different situations described in the Sufficient Techniques section. And, as we see, the ways of satisfying the success criterion may share techniques.