Image use cases that WCAG doesn't address

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:10:48 +0300
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

This comment is about Guideline 1.1 Text Alternatives, and this
comment is about the substance of the guideline.

The HTML5 draft[1] gives advice and examples for including text
alternatives for a variety of image uses cases. As far as I can tell,
the following use cases aren't addressed by WCAG 2.0:

  * A diagram illustrates what is already said textually. (HTML5 says
alt="" for this case.)

  * A user-uploaded image whose content is unknown to the programmer
of the HTML generator that frames the image for Web display and the
user hasn't supplied a text alternative. (HTML5 says to put the
description of what kind of image the image is in curly braces in the
alt attribute. E.g. a photo sharing site would use alt="{photo}".)

Proposed change:
I propose aligning with the HTML5 draft by saying that an image be
marked as omissible from non-visual rendering if it illustrates what
the surrounding prose already says.

I propose aligning with the HTML5 draft by saying that if the
generator of markup does not have a text alternative available, it
should use the natural-language expression describing the kind of
content (to the precision known to the generator) as the text
alternative and use a mechanism provided by the host format for
marking the text as not really being a text alternative but an
indication of what kind of non-text content is in question.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/
--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi