Re: JavaScript vs. Screen Readers

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:59:33 -0500
To: "Ryan Jean" <ryanj@disnetwork.org>
Cc: "'Michael Cooper'" <cooper@w3.org>, jan.richards@utoronto.ca, jbrewer@w3.org, public-comments-wcag20@w3.org, public-wai-rd@w3.org, w3c-wai-au@w3.org
> . . . I suggest that somehow screen readers be made compatible to read
the text

I think that is what the screen readers have done - their model though is
to upgrade to get the new function.  Are you suggesting that they patch
the older versions?  From what I understand that is not their business
model - bug patches yes, but new feature support costs developer time and
resources that needs to get funded from somewhere - currently the only
source is their business model to charge their customers for some
upgrades.

Have you sent your request to the screen reader vendors?  What did they
tell you?

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able