Response to feedback on my comments on WCAG 2.0 Last Call Draft of April 2006

Dear WCAG Working Group

Thank you for responding to my comments on the WCAG 2.0 Last Call Draft
of April 2006.

I am 100% satisfied with the Working Group's responses to Comment 2 and
Comment 3.

I am mostly satisfied with the Working Group's response to Comment 1.
Your proposed modification to the document reads:

"Context-sensitive help only needs to be provided when the label is not
sufficient to describe all functionality. In most cases,
context-sensitive help should not be placed in the form itself, but
should instead be available to users when they request it (e.g. by
linking to a separate help file)."

I agree with the first sentence but I disagree with the second sentence.
I do not think the guidelines should stipulate /where/ the
context-sensitive help should be placed. I feel that placement should be
done in such a way to maximise usability within the particular context
(whilst not creating accessibility issues, of course).

For example, some context-sensitive help may be best placed as a tip
beside or underneath the field label (e.g. "In whole dollars - do not
include cents") whereas other context-sensitive help may be more
appropriately placed in a separate help file (e.g. if there is a
considerable amount of descriptive information associated with a
product).

Moreover, removing the help from the form itself usually means the
/existence/ of such help is less obvious to the user. It may also make
it seem like the help is general, not context-sensitive (e.g. if a
"Help" icon is provided as part of the header to a page).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suggested refinement:
"Context-sensitive help only needs to be provided when the label is not
sufficient to describe all functionality. The existence of
context-sensitive help should be obvious to the user and they should be
able to obtain
it whenever they require it."

Kind regards

Jessica Enders
Senior Consultant - The Hiser Group
Ph: +61 (0)3 9648 4331 :::  Fax: +61 (0)3 9648 4390
18/535 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000, AUSTRALIA
www.hiser.com.au  |  jessicae@hiser.com.au