WCAG2 Comment - applicability

From: Gian Sampson-Wild <gian@tkh.com.au>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 01:57:46 +1000
To: "'Loretta Guarino Reid'" <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Cc: <public-comments-WCAG20@w3.org>

Apparently Level A and Level AA SC must be able to be applied to all web
content. Many comments that I submitted came back with "we'd love to put
that in a lower level but it doesn't apply to all web content so we can't"
(I'm paraphrasing).

I don't believe you can argue that all Level 1 and 2 SC must apply to all
web pages because there are many Level 1 and 2 SC that cannot be applied to
all web pages, such as SC 2.4.4 (A) which refers to link text - not all web
pages will have link text (ie. a one page site) or SC 3.2.2 (A) which refers
to a user interface component or SC 3.3.1 (A) which refers to an input error
(which therefore requires an input).

Proposed change: Remove the requirement that Level 1 and Level 2 SC must
apply to all web pages and reallocate SC according to importance to people
with disabilities